Written by MATCHA MAYA — a solo traveller following the world’s most memorable green cups. 🍵
Matcha Maya’s note: What stayed with me in the Philippines was not just the colour of the drink, but the small human moment around it—the conversation, the setting, and the feeling that I had found something local. ✨
Welcome to the Philippines – where islands meet matcha! 🇵🇭
I'll never forget the moment I arrived in Manila. The city was a beautiful blend of Spanish colonial history, modern energy, and the warm, welcoming spirit of the Filipino people. I had come to the Philippines to discover how matcha could possibly fit into a country so deeply connected to its own tropical culture.
As it turned out, Manila had a warm and beautiful surprise waiting for me.
My journey began in the historic Intramuros district. I wandered through the cobblestone streets, past ancient churches and vibrant plazas, until I found a tiny matcha café tucked between a museum and a souvenir shop. The barista, a friendly Filipino woman named Maria, greeted me with a warm smile.
"In the Philippines, we believe in sharing," she said. "And matcha is the perfect drink to share."
She handed me a matcha latte made with coconut milk. The matcha was creamy and perfectly balanced, and the coconut milk added a tropical sweetness. I took a sip, and I was transported.
🇵🇭 My Favorite Matcha Spots in the Philippines
Matcha Bar – Manila
In the heart of Manila, I discovered a matcha bar that serves creative matcha lattes and desserts.
Chora Café – Cebu
This charming café in Cebu serves a delicious matcha latte with a view of the sea.
Taigu – Davao
In beautiful Davao, I found a matcha café with a view of the mountains.
✨ My Personal Reflection
The Philippines taught me that matcha can be as warm and welcoming as a Filipino smile. It's not just a drink – it's a moment of connection, a celebration of the beauty of life.
Have you ever tried matcha in the Philippines? Share your story below! 🍵
🍵 Discover More Matcha Journeys
Regional Guides:
🌍 Global Guide |
🌎 South America |
🏰 Europe |
🏯 Asia |
🍁 North America
Asia:
Thailand |
Vietnam |
Malaysia |
Singapore
🍵 Quick FAQ: Matcha in the Philippines
Where should I start looking for matcha in the Philippines?
Start with independent specialty cafés and Japanese-inspired bakeries; they are usually the most thoughtful places to ask about matcha quality.
What should I order first?
A simple hot matcha or iced matcha latte makes it easiest to notice the flavour and the café’s preparation style.
How can I make the visit feel more local?
Ask the barista what local ingredient or pastry they pair with matcha, then take your time and enjoy the ritual.
🌿 Make this your matcha itinerary
Browse the regional guide for the next destination on your list.
Explore the regional matcha guide →
Comments
Post a Comment